Detoxophane is a purified extract of Swiss garden cress sprouts that contains sulforaphane, which is a well-known activator of phase II detoxification enzymes.
Detoxophane succeeds in enhancing the resistance of skin cells against environmental pollutants and intrinsic reactive molecules. It both cleans off and protects our skin cells against dangerous molecules and is therefore an effective anti-aging ingredient for all skin care products.
Positive effect on phase I and II detoxification enzymes
Protection against oxidative stressors in keratinocytes
In vivo study
In vitro study
- Protects skin against pollutants
- Prevents visible signs of skin aging
- Helps to prevent DNA damage
- Protects against environmental stress factors
- Detoxophane is a second-generation antioxidant
Garden cress (Lepidium sativum) is an aromatic and slightly pungent edible herb. Cultivation of this species, which is native to Persia and spread many centuries ago to Western Europe, has occurred for a very long time. The sprouts of this fast growing plant have the highest concentration of phytonutrients. These are the compounds in plants that are known for their health promoting properties.
INCI (EU/PCPC) Declaration
Detoxophane (standard version): Lepidium Sativum Sprout Extract (and) Glycerin (and) Lecithin (and) Phenoxyethanol (and) Aqua / Water
Detoxophane nc (preservative-free version): Lepidium Sativum Sprout Extract (and) Lecithin (and) Glycerin (and) Aqua/Water
Recommended Use Level
0.5 – 3 %
- PDF Extract of Cress Sprouts for a Broad Skin (Cosmetics Design 09/2007)
- PDF Second Generation Antioxidants from Cress Sprouts (SÖFW 03/2007)
- PDF Cress Sprout Actives to Turn on the Master Switch in Cell Protection (Cosmetics Design 09/2010)
- PDF The Non-Stop Search for Efficient Whitening (Pure Health Magazine Autumn Issue 2010)
- PDF Vegetable Sprouts: A Potent Source for Cosmetic Actives (HPC Today 03/2011)